True wisdom consists of two things: knowledge of God and knowledge of self."

True wisdom consists of two things: knowledge of God and knowledge of self."

- John Calvin

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Post #1

I type these words with the full realization that there is a strong possibility that this blog will become laborious to me in a short amount of time. This is dually because I tend to get bored of my own thoughts quickly and as I understand it there are two people in the world: those who like to journal and those who don't. I am most certainly the latter. However, I do enjoy writing so I thought I would give this a try. Additionally, I think there are people in my life who genuinely want to KNOW me and what is currently going on in my life (pseudo facebook 'friends' need not apply). If I am wrong and there is only one person who desires this then I say, "Thanks mom."

In this first post I feel it would be appropriate to say a few words on the title of this blog. "Homeward Bound" does not come from the Simon and Garfunkel song (even though that is a fantastic song). No, there is a deeper meaning attached. A few verses immediately come to mind: Philippians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." and Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. Who for the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

We are all on a journey in life, what's scary is that a lot of people have no idea where it leads. As a transient man and a Christian I realize that my life and my journey on earth has meaning and purpose only because Jesus Christ has redeemed my life from certain death and darkness. I travel this road with hope because I know on one hand that there is work to be done to bring forth the Kingdom of God now, while still knowing that this is not my home and the fullness of God's kingdom will be revealed when we are home with Jesus. It is to this home that I am bound and my life shall be dedicated to the cause of Christ.

This road I have traveled has been and will continue to be an exciting, exhausting, joyous, painful, tiring, growing, stretching and surprising experience. It is not a sprint but more-so a marathon. I am glad to have met you as friends and fellow travelers along this road and I'm happy to share my life with you.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you started this. You have much to share, and a depth and understanding that will inspire and challenge. Also, a wit and sense of humor, I can only guess comes from the Norwegian side! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joel, so great to see you entered the blog world. I can't wait to get a window into your mind and world right now. I know there's always plenty of "stuff" swimming around in that head of yours. Looking forward to keeping up!

    ReplyDelete